Back to Home
||Research Programs: scope and procedures
: The Center's vision is based on a broad concept recognizing science and technology as driving forces constantly transforming both the challenges we face and the opportunities for problem solving in a broad set of issues. It has been focused on energy and sustainability issues, but addresses serious global concerns by integrating insights and research of engineers, scientists and technologists, together with social scientists, in government, business and society at large.
The heart of IN+ is its resident research community of scholars, including IST faculty, doctorate researchers, practitioners, and each year a new, international, interdisciplinary group of doctoral and post-graduation students and research fellows. Research staff is organized through three main Laboratories: i) Thermofluids, Combustion and Energy systems; ii) Ecology and Environmental Systems; and iii) Technology Policy and Management. Through publications and policy discussions, workshops, seminars, and conferences, the Center is aimed to promote innovative solutions to significant national and international challenges. Specific Goal
: Research Programs help identifying main areas of specialization of the Center and to foster its role in academia, as well as to facilitate new and future relations with public and private sectors, society and the economy. Main goals include:
Main Rules, coordination and procedures:
- Foster the visibility and impact of main areas of specialization of the Center, including dissemination of results through the IN+ website;
- Help specifying main areas of action and their impact in academia and society, with emphasis on research areas involving research teams and doctorate researchers;
- Contribute for career development of post-doctoral researchers, as well as for making them responsible for the impact of the center.
- Research Programs focus on well identified and emerging research issues, promoting the specialization of the activities performed at IN+. They are of a temporary nature.
- Research Programs are Directed/coordinated by a doctorate researcher.
- Research Programs identify a senior Research faculty at IN+ with the degree of “Agregação” as Scientific Coordinator. In addition, they may consider a “Steering Committee” with national and international experts
- Research Programs bring together a research team and funding from several sources, which may include national and international R&D projects.
- Research Programs have their own website, which should have a link from the overall IN+ website under the item “Research Programs”.
- Research Programs are approved by the President of IN+, after consulting with the Executive Committee and the directors of the Laboratories. The Executive Committee is free to propose the creation and the termination of Research Programs.
- Urban Metabolism and Sustainable Cities (UMSC).
- Science, Higher Education and Policy (SHEP).
- Industrial Ecology.
- Nano and Clean Technologies for New Combustion Devices and Engines.
- Industrial Policy and Entrepreneurship: technical change, socio-economic resilience and growth.
- Risk Governance